Monday, May 12, 2008

Not Bad for an Under $10-Burger



Here's my report from the latest burger club venture: Weiland Brewery. We gave it a thumbs up, especially for its price compared with gourmet burgers that break the bank.

The meat was cooked medium rare as requested but the patty was not as flavorful as it could have been, although much less pasty than Hungry Cat. Overall, I'd give it decent marks. I know I sound like a broken record, but it still doesn't come close to Houston's. Even the bbq sauce I got on the side that has become a staple burger condiment for me was too sweet and not deep-flavored at all.



As for the fries, they were greasy and lukewarm. I mean, they didn't even look good. Weiland definitely needs help in the fries department.

The dark and slightly drab interior didn't help, mostly because I like to see my food when I eat it. But it's nice having a wide beer selection, although if I had a choice, I would go for a glass of full-bodied cabernet over beer to wash down my bloody red meat. Some might say it is pretty darn pretentious to sip wine with the down-home, all-American burger, but red meat is red meat. Got to have it.

In any case, it's good to know we have a fall-back for a relatively affordable burger. And it has a downtown location in the Paul Hastings building's food court -- one of the most poorly designed and most depressing food courts ever. Stuck in a basement with no light, sparsely populated with disgusting fast food chains and dubious food that purports to be Indian, I would probably never go there if it weren't for the post office and this brewery.

Next stop: Twoheys in Alhambra (Web site under construction as of May 11).

Weiland Brewery (Multiple Locations)
400 East 1st Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213)680-2881

1 comment:

Omurice said...

still think houston's on 2nd street is the best burger. why, why, is it so difficult to find good burgers?