Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cooking: Got Old Bananas? It's Banana Nut Muffin Time!


You know when you buy a big bunch of bananas and by the end of the week, they're looking way too black to make you want to eat them? When that happens, I either peel them and stick them in the freezer to make smoothies later, or make banana muffins!

I used to make a whole loaf of banana bread, but let's face it. It's a pain to have to slice them every time (I know. Woe is me). So I now use my trusty muffin pan and I love how those little paper cups fit right in and make my muffins look oh-so professional -- except they taste home-made!
My go-to recipe is, of course, Tyler Florence's, except I substituted vegetable oil for butter and it came out just as moist and delicious.

I love the texture of pecans to the muffins and the banana flavors are all nicely blended into the mix, with a hint of sugar, which I substituted with agave and reduced the amount too. It doesn't need a whole lot of sweetness as it's already fairly sweet.

I didn't have a lot of batter so the muffins were a tad guilt-free -- and muffin-top-free in more ways than one. I'm not a baker by any stretch, but these babies are super easy to make and will hold you over those busy mornings you run out of the house to go to work. Great while driving!

No comments: