Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cooking: Homeboy Industries' Morita Salsa for your Breakfast Quesadilla

I have always loved the food at Homegirl Cafe so when I heard Homeboy Industries was coming out with a new line of salsas and chips, I had to try all of them.

I ventured out to my local Ralph's and got all the featured items, including a red and spicy morita, a sweet and tangy mango, a mild salsa verde, a refreshing pico de gallo and mole. I also tried the chips.

The verdict: my favorite is the morita, which is the spiciest and in my opinion, has the most flavor. The mango is my close second. Sweet but also with just a bit of heat. I didn't care much for the salsa verde or pico de gallo but I usually like the red salsas with charred pieces of chile than the fresh ones or ones using tomatillo.

I wasn't a big fan of the chips, so I took corn tortillas I got at a local Latino market and made quesadillas. I never understood why breakfast burritos took off but breakfast quesadillas had not, at least as far as I knew. I sprinkled a mix of shredded Monterrey Jack and cheddar cheese and threw in some chopped zucchini (or whatever vegetables clamoring to be eaten in your fridge) and a fried egg. I added a dollop of the morita salsa and some chopped avocado and listo! I had a great breakfast quesadilla in my hands.

An added benefit is that when you buy these Homeboy products, you're also helping former gang members start a new life. If you're in LA, check out the fantastic food at Homegirl Cafe near Union Station.

No comments: