Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cooking: Pimp My Brown Rice -- With Fish Roe, That Is

I had leftover fish roe and didn't know what to do with them. Then fellow food lover TJ showed me to just top it over rice, so I did. I didn't think I'd like it but it was great over brown rice (which means it can only be better over white rice).

"Is it masago?" TJ cried when I told her about it. They were regular (bright orange) and wasabi masago that was a bright green. Because they're salty to begin with (although not as bad as caviar, which I'm not a huge fan of -- except maybe with some blinis and creme fraiche?), they go very well with the mild rice.


What I also loved about the fish roe was the gorgeous crystal-like colors in my otherwise drab-looking brown rice. Who knew brown rice could be blinged like this?!

Some may question its high cholesterol levels but everything in moderation, right? It's the perfect accompaniment to perk up some boring old rice. I would have only thought of having them with sushi but I can't believe it just dawned on me to have it with regular rice as a rice bowl too. Do it!

Experiment with different kinds of fish roe but they're readily available in Asian markets. Go crazy!

No comments: