Thursday, May 12, 2011

Cooking: Miso Mayo is the Best Thing Since Sliced Bread


Ok, so much for my hyperbole. But I can't believe I just discovered this gem when the entire time it was right there under my nose!

This Miso Mayo is a sure-fire way to get kids -- and adults like me -- to eat more veggies like broccoli. I don't usually like to eat broccoli unless it's in some pureed form or we're talking about baby broccoli, which I like to stir-fry with garlic.

A friend recently introduced me to this beauty. Wholefoods has it in its produce section. It's not exactly mayo. It's just miso diluted with some cider vinegar and a bit of oil. It's lower calorie than real mayo and tastes a lot better than Nayonaise, the soy-based "mayo."

Just steam or blanche some vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower and dip away! It's so delicious and you feel less guilty, unless you're worried about sodium intake, which could be high.

The bottle says this can be used for all sorts of things like fish tacos and tuna salads, but not sure I'll venture that far just yet. I'll update this post if I ever try them.

It comes in various flavors but I just got introduced to the original so will go with this for now and expand into spicy or whatever other flavors.

No comments: